Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Twestival : The Power of Social Media


First I must admit shame that I made a mistake of assuming twestival was for only US and Europe and did not even bother to read a post on it in my Google Reader.

So, what is Twestival ?

On 12 February 2009 175+ cities around the world will be hosting Twestivals which bring together Twitter communities for an evening of fun and to raise money and awareness for charity: water

This is a manifestation of what innovative use of Social Media channels can do in all areas of our life. Twitter is everywhere and using that huge community for charity is brilliant, smart and powerful.

Twestival, the brainchild of a handful of twitter.com users, debuted in London in September, 2008. Intended to be a local networking affair where attendees could meet their contemporaries behind twitter avatars while also doing it’s bit for charity, it has evolved into much more.

Participants will gather in cities all over the world, joining forces to raise money for CharityWater.org, a nonprofit organization bringing clean, safe drinking water to people in developing nations. Real people, real time, real power to make a difference.
Source:FPR

I believe I have not read any posts or tweets ( I will do a more comprehensive search later) about Ghanaian twitterers getting involved.

Lagos is hosting a Twestival thanks toFrancis Oghuma (@qubestreet) and it has put Lagos on the Map. The other African locations are: Johannesburg, Cape Town and Lusaka.

Accra it seems will not be part of Twestival and sadly I may be as much to blame as any other twitterer in Ghana. This would have been an opportunity to firmly register Accra on the Twitter map since we could have generated hashtags to last months pointing to Ghanaian twitterers and Accra itself.

I sadly have to say GO LAGOS. I am officially a Lagos Twestivalian!!

LESSON: In this Global era of Social Media never assume you cannot be a part of any event. If I had just paid more attention a week ago, my trip to Accra would have read:

1. Get Klustrs.com marketing material to University of Ghana, Legon

2. Attend TWESTIVAL ACCRA .........

Here is my attempt to make up for my shame!




I hope all Twestivals are a huge success.
People Power Rules!